Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ode to Dave


This is Dave. He's a weimaraner pretending to be an Army lieutenant. It is my most sincere hope that you find this ridiculous photo as funny as I do.

Morgan and I adopted Dave about two years ago. He went from being a 30 pound puppy who loved to be held like a baby and chew on momma's nice shoes to a 100 pound pony who still likes to be held like a baby and is currently on a diet because momma over-feeds him.

Yes, I am one of those "parents" that rewards my "kid" with delicious treats. Sad, but true. I am, however, slowly changing both our habits--my giving and his eating--because I know Dave's health could be at risk. This scenario can be loosely applied to the nation-wide situation pertaining to childhood obesity. Our kids are fat and they're only getting heavier. Since the 80s, the percentage of children and teens that are overweight has more than doubled, according to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. Today, about 17 percent of American children ages 2-19 are overweight.

It's not about aesthetics really. Although studies have shown that teens with healthy body mass indexes are more self confident and happy than those who are overweight. Obesity is also linked to a myriad of health problems from diabetes to cancer to heart disease. So, get up and get moving. Set a good example and your friends, children and hopefully fat dogs will follow.

xoxoL

3 comments:

Allison Kennedy said...

Super Dave is looking fine!, but you are smart to pay attention to curbing his appetite.

Amanda said...

Dave is one fine-looking young man. You must help him keep that studly figure.

Lily Writes said...

I am happy to report that Super Dave has lost some weight. Dr. Tatum will be so proud.