Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Redeployment


Infantrymen were once referred to as "Doughboys." See why below.


After a nice three-day weekend, I'm back to blogging.

Yesterday was wicked busy, but let me start first with what's going on tonight.

I'm covering a homecoming ceremony for about 80 soldiers with the Headquarters and Headquarters Company of the 13th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion at about 10 p.m. on Fort Benning.

The Army calls these occasions "redeployments," which I just hate. It's confusing to readers. It makes it seem like they are going back overseas, doesn't it? No, they are coming home.

Anyway, here's something I wrote recently about the Family Readiness Group's (FRG) preparations for their loved one's homecoming.

Also, yesterday I checked out the first day of the Infantry Warfighting Conference held at the Columbus Convention and Trade Center. I got up close and personal with some RPGs, anti-tank weaponry, state of the art surveillance equipment and robots that make Johnny 5 look like a Rumba. Later that evening I had the privilege of interviewing the two recipients of the annual Doughboy award as well as past recipients, H. Ross Perot and Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumley. Here's that story.

Learn more about the possible origins of the term Doughboy here.

No comments: