Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Walk this way



Though Morgan went through Ranger School a few years ago (in 2005 I believe), I still remember some of the funny and icky stories he brought home with him.

There's the one when he and some guys were marching through the forest at night, so sleep deprived they were like the living dead. Morgan said he stepped out of formation at some point, veered off the path and ended up waist-deep in a mud hole before he realized he was sleep walking. He had to call the guys to fish him out of the muck.

Then there were the Florida swamp stories. Alligators, venomous snakes, squishy, unstable ground, freezing cold water. Why would anyone ever want to do that? I find myself saying, almost daily, I could never be in the Army no matter how bad-ass I think I am.

Apparently, these chicks are pretty bad-ass too.

Would you ever subject yourself to this?

One more thing I'd like to draw to your attention about the Ranger Training Brigade (RTB) wife swamp walk story. This struck me as kind of odd and annoying:

Master Sgt. Jose Marengo said the Rangers enjoy watching the wives shoot, but the event serves another purpose — it gives the wive’s a greater understanding of their husbands’ jobs.

“Instructors are often out there 36 hours straight in those conditions,” he said. “Maybe their (wives) will be more understanding when an instructor stays up all night and he’s tired on Saturday when the wife is looking forward to a full day.”

Did they really organize this adventure so RTB wives would stop nagging their husbands? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure these women know the hardships their men face and I would hope these guys appreciate the sacrifices their wives make every day so they can be out in the swamp for 36 hours training future Rangers. Everyone's pitching in there.

Am I wrong?

No comments: