Tuesday, March 18, 2008

soccer it to me

The Columbus Adult Soccer Association began its spring 2008 season recently and I am proud to be a part of it. The team I play for is called Acousti, named after a local construction company is what I'm told. Our black, sleeveless, mesh jerseys are awesome. Not at all unflattering. Our skills are so-so.

Sunday was a perfect day to kick it and by kick it I mean get our butts kicked. Whoever said "It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game" is an idiot. True, I joined CASA because I wanted to get off the treadmill, meet some people and revisit my glory days riding the pine as a member of the Union College soccer team. But let's be honest. Winning is what's really important. That's why I was so pissed when the Pink Panthers (seriously) beat my bad ass Acousti Sunday, 1-0. We so had that game. More shots on goal, better ball control. We even had a super fan in tow--my friend and co-worker Sonya Sorich. Let's just say she got some pretty judgemental looks from the other four spectators when she whipped out a life-sized piece of poster board containing the words "ball" and "handler" on it.

Despite the loss, it sure feels good to lace up my pink cleats again and run around outdoors for awhile. You should try it, but make sure you get on it because we're headed for some hot and sticky weather real soon.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You make me want to strap on my shin guards again. Wade and I are going to be playing Ultimate Frisbee again this summer, though, which is just as good exercise. Lots of running and lots of opportunity for glory. What position do you play? I would guess forward. I was center mid in high school.

wltzstefanie said...

YOU HAVE PINK CLEATS!

Lily Writes said...

Yes I do have pink cleats Stephy-loo. They are fabulous!

Ultimate frisby rocks, Amanda. Make sure Wade doesn't bop you in the nose. Then you'll never be a teen model!