Thursday, October 2, 2008

When the accused becomes the victim

I worked on a story today about a man who was basically acquitted Tuesday of charges filed against him last October alleging he molested his 14-year-old adopted daughter. I say basically acquitted because the case made it to the grand jury and it got a no bill, meaning the jury tossed it out. So, I don't know if that's technically called an acquittal if it never made it to court.

Anyway, today I spoke with the man who was accused of this crime and he seems like a good, honest person. He and his wife, who was also arrested last October and charged with cruelty to children for allegedly failing to report the abuse to authorities, are trying to pick up the broken pieces of their lives. They were and still are devastated by the fact that the daughter they took into their home at the age of 4 1/2 could or would do such a thing.

You know what, though? The father said he still loves her and wants the best for his child. I don't have kids so I can't say how I would react in this situation, but I'm tempted to hate this young girl. What do you think?

She clearly has deep emotional issues she needs to deal with and according to her father she's getting help. Will she ever get better? What's to say she won't do this again once she's back in her home? Would she do it to a boyfriend/friend in the future? I don't know.

All I know is I wish their family the best and I hope they can begin to heal now that this chapter in their lives is closed.

2 comments:

Mrs. Pie said...

Did the girl ever admit that she'd made the whole thing up or something? How old is she?

Lily Writes said...

I really don't know if she's admitted to her alleged lies or not.

She's 15 now I think.

How are you, by the way, Mrs. Pie.