Friday, August 8, 2008

Keeping in touch

Up until recently, contacting Morgan in Afghanistan has been surprisingly convenient. That changed Sunday when I failed to hear from him. Monday came and still no word. No e-mail, phone call, Facebook or Skype messages.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday came and went. Each day lasted an eternity. I couldn't concentrate at work, couldn't sleep, felt sick, felt weak.

Never allowing myself to fear the worst I told everyone who asked about Morgan that he must be out on a mission because I hadn't heard from him in awhile.

This morning a "937" number popped up on my phone. "Thank God," I thought. Tears streaming silently down my cheeks I told Morgan how worried I was and asked him to please try to let me know in advance when he'd be unreachable for days in a row. It's a request I don't know if I have the right to make. It's also one he doesn't have the right to grant. All the same, I felt reassured.

It's a good day. Happy Friday everyone.

xoxoL

3 comments:

Sonya Sorich said...

Glad to hear everything's OK. Your courage feeds my soul like a Potle burrito. Love you.

cannamoma said...

there will be many times youo get that gut sick feel and unwanted not-knowing and what-if, you must be strong for you and him both. He will call when he can at any given avaiable moment. rest assured glad you herd word back.

Lily Writes said...

Thanks for all your kind words everyone.